Home Treatment for Hemorrhoids
Many people find hemorrhoids somewhat embarrassing and prefer to treat them from the comfort of their own home. Luckily, a majority of the time, hemorrhoids are easily treated using the following home remedies:
- Hemorrhoid creams – Creams are a great way to reduce the pain, swelling and itching caused by hemorrhoids. You can get cream either from a physician or over-the-counter at most drug stores.
- Sitz Bath – A sitz bath is when a person sits in water up to the hips, which relieves the discomfort and pain caused by hemorrhoids.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – For a natural treatment, try soaking a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and applying it to the hemorrhoid area.
- Coconut Oil – Applying coconut oil to the hemorrhoids directly, rinsing and repeating not only helps relieve symptoms, but it can also cause the hemorrhoids to disappear in a few short days.
- Cold Therapy – Cold therapy involves using a cold, clinically approved applicator that is stored in the freezer and applied to the swollen area.
What Should I Do If Home Hemorrhoid Treatments Don’t Work?
If you don’t see improvement within seven days of trying a home remedy, you need to call your GI doctor immediately. The following actions may be taken:
- Fixative Procedure – These procedures include tying off the hemorrhoids with a rubber band or using heat lasers to create scar tissue. Fixative procedures can only be done on internal hemorrhoids.
- Hemorrhoidectomy – Surgical removal of large hemorrhoids might be necessary if other treatments have not controlled the bleeding.
Hemorrhoid Treatment in Naperville, IL
Contact Digestive Health Services at 630.434.9312 if you are suffering from painful hemorrhoids.