Have Digestive Issues? Tips for Eating During the Holidays
The holiday season is the time of the year to spend time with your family and food is often a huge role in our holiday traditions. When it comes to holiday foods, it may be hard to navigate what you can and cannot eat if you are suffering from a digestive disease such as IBS or Crohn’s Disease. If your digestive issues are severe enough, this may cause issues in accepting party invitations or even consider eating while attending these parties.
Here are some tips to consider this holiday season to make your holiday eating more tolerable:
- Watch Your Portion Size: Try eating smaller meals, rather than binge eating. The more food you eat, the more pressure you put on your esophagus, which can cause heartburn or a stomach ache.
- Avoid Greasy or Fried Foods: These fatty foods can cause symptoms such as diarrhea or gas due to fat malabsorption. Choose lean meats, baked alternatives, and steamed vegetables rather than their fried alternatives. Not only will you avoid digestive issues, these are also healthier options.
- Watch Your Fiber Intake: A lot of holiday food does not have a lot of fiber in it, which can lead to constipation. Try adding a variety of foods rich in fiber to avoid constipation. If you have a stricture of the bowel, it could be helpful to avoid high-fiber food, as this could lead to symptoms such as diarrhea.
- Eat Slowly: Eating slowly and consciously can make you aware of how much you are putting into your body as well as assist in your body’s digestion and suppress your appetite.
- Be Prepared: Don’t be too tough on yourself during the holiday season, but be prepared in case you suffer from some digestive issues! You can come prepared to a party by bringing a snack that you know you can eat. You can also eat beforehand, to limit your temptation to eat something that will upset your stomach. Finally, be prepared by bringing medication in case you do suffer from digestive issues. Speak with your doctor to determine what medication would be best for you.
For most people, it is normal to suffer from the occasional stomachache or heartburn during the holiday season, don’t stress out! If your symptoms are severe or are ongoing, it may be time to schedule an appointment with Digestive Health Services, Inc. The worst thing you can do is ignore your symptoms. Call (630) 434-9312 today to schedule an appointment with one of our digestive health specialists. We hope you have a happy holiday season!